Monday, February 8, 2016

Classic Backpacking Gear: Small Items

In this gear post I want to go over all the remaining small items I use as part of my Classic Backpacking equipment. The literature of this time period is filled with a wide assortment of items that were carried. I’ve tried to minimize what I use as much as possible, and my selections are in part based on the items I am accustomed to using in my regular backpacking.

In the picture below you can see two pouches containing all the remaining items I carry. I have them next to my Mora #2 for size comparisons. The pouches are made from Egyptian cotton that has been treated with boiled linseed oil. The reason for the treatment is not to keep the items inside dry, but to keep the pouches from absorbing water and getting covered with snow when I put them on the ground.


The small pouch contains toilet paper and a cut down toothbrush. The second pouch contains all the remaining items.


On top you have a flint and steel fire kit in a brass box. It is just a back up fire lighting method for me. I carry it more for fun than anything else. By this period in time, 1880 through 1930, the preferred method for fire lighting was matches, not flint and steel.

Wherever one goes matches, knife, and axe should always accompany him.” Claude P. Fordyce, Touring Afoot. 1916 p.89

As a rule you need three supplies of matches, the main store in a friction-top, air-tight; the daily supply for pipe-smoking, etc., usually an ordinary match-safe or some of the papers of waxed paste board matches; and, finally, the emergency matches, always on your person and carried in a special water-proof shell with the matches wrapped in a few folds of birch-bark tinder.” Warren Hastings Miller, Camp Craft, 1915 p.150

Matches, knife, and a compass are the three indispensables.” Stewart Edward White, Camp and Trail, 1911 p.63

Lighters utilizing a wick were also available. However it appears they were only used as back up to the matches. “A very convenient and cheap emergency contrivance is the flint and steel pocket cigar lighter to be had at most cigar stores. With it as a reserve you are sure of a fire no matter how wet the catastrophe.” Stewart Edward White, Camp and Trail, 1911 p.65 

Next to the flint and steel kit I have a DC4 sharpening stone. I use it both for my knife and my hatchet or axe. 

On the top right are several coils of cotton string that I use to pitch my tarp and any other chores for which I need string.

On the bottom you have four blanket pins. They are the 4 inch type, and are more period accurate than the round blanket pins you often see, which date from earlier periods. A good example can be seen on p.69 of the 1907 Abercrombie & Fitch Catalog. When I carry the down comforter with me, I bring four extra pins along with it. 


Next to the pins is a small glass bottle with a metal top, which holds all of my pills. The bottle is from a Potable Aqua Iodine water purification kit. It is the one that holds the taste neutralizing tablets.

In the middle is my compass. It is a cheap replica I found on Amazon. It is made of brass and is not liquid filled.


Lastly, I have three Marble’s waterproof containers. They are cheap modern versions, but in design and construction they are period correct.

Matches are carried in a Marble's waterproof case. I also carry a small file and sharpening stone for the axe and some pieces of strong cord.” Elmer Harry Kreps, Camp and Trail Methods, 1910 p.223

In two of the cases I carry strike anywhere matches. One container stays in my pack, the other goes in my pocket along with the compass. The third container holds my sewing kit. 


Inside each of the cases holding the matches, I have some waxed jute twine, which serves both as kindling as well as to keep the matches from moving around.

In the sewing kit I have a few needles, some cotton string, and some artificial sinew. The match box that I keep in my pocket has a string tied to it so that I can recognize it.

The weights of the items are as follows:
  • Flint and Steel Kit …………………………………………………….... 5.3oz
  • Match Safe (Full) x 2 ………………………………………………....... 1.3oz each
  • Sewing Kit ……………………………………………………………... 1.1oz
  • Sharpening Stone ………………………………………………………. 2.7oz
  • Pill Bottle (Full) ………………………………………………………... 1.0oz
  • Compass ………………………………………………………………... 2.3oz
  • Rope ……………………………………………………………………. 2.8oz
  • Pins x 4 …………………………………………………………………. 0.3oz each
  • Toothbrush and Toilet Paper …………………………………………… 2.7oz
This wraps up the gear that I have been carrying so far on my Classic Backpacking trips. There is a lot more gear that was available at the time, and will write posts about it as I use it. The above items however, together with the gear I have covered in my previous posts, has been sufficient for the trips I have undertaken so far. 

No comments:

Post a Comment